Title: Arabic Editor
Location: Amman or Beirut
Duration: Indeterminate (CDI) - Full-time position
Reporting to: International Content and Publications Manager
Start date: 15 October 2018
Application deadline: 29 July 2018
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
POSITION WITHIN THE ORGANISATION
The Arabic Editor will work closely with the Digital Officer and the English Editor (for msf.org in English) and will report to the International Content and Publications Manager.
MSF International is seeking an Arabic Editor to work on the content of msf.org in Arabic and provide Arabic editorial support to the MSF movement when needed.
He/she is part of the communications team of the International Office. The team is based across Geneva, Brussels and Barcelona; this position will be based in Amman or Beirut. He/she works closely with colleagues throughout MSF’s communication network, particularly those based in offices in the Middle East region, who produce content in Arabic and manage digital communications in Arabic.
OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
Working together with the International Office Content team, ensure that msf.org is relevant, up-to-date and engaging, with a particular focus on the Arabic language site. As part of a network of Arabic communications teams in the Middle East, the role contributes to our communications in Arabic through msf.org and by providing editorial support, as well as technical support, for our field communications teams as needed.
- Edit and proofread content received from the wider organisation translated into Arabic to prepare it for publication on msf.org/AR
- Publish articles in Arabic on msf.org using our CMS system
- Work with the International Content and Publications Manager to ensure msf.org pages remain current and follow the editorial line of the website
- Support/encourage communications staff across the movement to provide web friendly and mobile first written content
- Publishes content in English to msf.org/EN, using our CMS, during holidays and heavy workload periods for the English Editor. This principally occurs while the English Editor leads the production of the International Activity Report, and backup needed is usually over a period of 3-4 months.
- Work with the International Web Officer and Digital team on assessing website analytics and implementing best-practice web content and principles.
- Liaise and support field teams to help update country pages on msf.org as needed by field communications
2. MSF content in Arabic
- • Work in collaboration with the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) teams to coordinate the translation of content into Arabic
- Work in collaboration with the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) teams to provide editorial support in Arabic for the movement
- Work in collaboration with the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) teams to provide support in producing original content in Arabic.
- When needed, translate and edit content in Arabic for use across the movement
- When required, adapt translated materials for web use.
- Update the style guide and the glossary of terms in Arabic, collaborating with the MENA offices
3. Other duties
- Take part in week end on-call rota for the International Communications team
- During agreed periods, backs up social media posting on official MSF Arabic language social media channels
- Assist the English Editor in preparing the International Activity Report.
- Other tasks and projects as required.
- Native-level written and spoken Arabic is essential.
- Fluent written and spoken English language skills are essential.
- Fluent written French language skills are a strong asset.
- The ability to translate text from English into Arabic.
- Proven experience preparing and editing written content in Arabic, for web and publications.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Good social media skills required; SEO and SEM experience is an asset.
- Genuine interest in, understanding of, and commitment to the humanitarian principles and challenges of MSF.
- Can work independently and autonomously, and remotely from the rest of the team.
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
-Only short-listed candidates will be contacted-
Short-listed candidates will be subject to testing on Arabic written and editing skills