International Contracting Office HR Administrator
Location: Any MSF Office
Contract: Permanent contract at 100%
Deadline to apply: 18 December 2022
Starting date: March 2023
*By default, the successful candidate will be offered a contract in the MSF office of their country of residence at the time of application.
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 24 sections, 25 associations and other offices together. Registered in Switzerland, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
II. POSITION BACKGROUND
MSF recruits internationally mobile staff from >160 countries worldwide, working for five Operational Centres in 80 mission countries. Whilst these staff are contracted in 19 different Contracting Sections (depending on their country of domicile primarily), all are remunerated based on an internationally agreed compensation & benefits policy, and framework called the International Remuneration Project (IRP). Approximately 50% of mobile staff are recruited from countries where MSF does not have a contracting section. These staff are, in most cases, contracted by the OC they are working for and are for administrative purposes known as “Non-Contracting Section Residents” or “NCRs.” This means that they change the contracting section every time they shift OC, whereas internationally mobile staff who have a domicile in a country with a contracting section are contracted by that section regardless of the OC they work for. Because of differences in remuneration and benefits policies to take account of legal and regulatory contexts, there are inevitably differences in pay and benefits between OCs, which impact continuity for NCRs.
These differences and difficulties with contracting NCRs led the International Platform of HR Directors (IDRH) to prioritize developing a contracting solution.
III. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The MSF ICO HR Administrator (Hereafter: HR Admin) is administratively managed by the International Office and reports hierarchically and functionally to the ICO HR Team Leader.
IV. OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The HR Admin strives for excellent HR administration for NCR International Mobile Staff (Hereafter: employees) within the mandate of MSF ICO. The HR Admin performs the end-to-end HR administration related to employment contracts management and processing benefits programs with the highest quality and customer service attitude. The HR Admin is the front line of HR administrative support for employees, and they act as gatekeepers to ensure adherence to internal processes, HR policies, and legal compliance.
V. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Acts as a contact person on HR administrative issues, including payroll, and provides HR administrative support with an understanding of salary and benefits policies and Swiss labor law
- Provides support to employees on general inquiries about administrative processes, and technical casework
- Informs HR Team Leader of recurring queries and actively prepares or updates the FAQs and Policies
- Seeks support from C&B specialist when needed
- Monitors the complete registration of employees in the HRIS systems and files by gathering and checking all relevant information needed for the completion of a contract
- Based on the Work Order issued by a managing section, develops an employment contract and makes sure an employee’s agreement before an assignment starts
- Works closely with the managing sections to ensure the details (end of contract date) are correct before issuing the End of Contract form and closing a contract
- Terminates an employment contract with the information received by managing sections
- Ensures the validity of Employment contracts throughout the employment period
Salary Process Support
- Reviews and ensures previous experiences of employees for salary grading are done properly using MSF’s IRPII processes and standards
- Carries out activities as required to support the workflow for all Cross Admin-related activities
- Provides administrative information related to contract and salary to OCs as requested
HRIS and Data
- Administrates and coordinates employment processes, e.g. collecting all relevant documents and accurately maintaining employee personnel files and personnel database
- Regularly updates HR information systems (HRIS) (HR databases and Excel-based), the electronic filing systems, and other HRIS relevant to employees, ensuring information on all employees is accurate, complete, and processed confidentially in line with GDPR
- Gives (technical) support to employees and other users regarding Employee Self Service portal
- Ensures timely registration and deregistration of international medical insurance
- Advises employees regarding health insurance claims
- Ensures timely registration and deregistration of Individual Retirement Saving Plans
- Responds to employees’ inquiries regarding the Individual Retirement Saving Plans
- Ensures adherence to the internal Terms of Employment policies and participates in the continuous development of work processes
- Seeks continuous improvements in HRIS, processes, and procedures to make them more effective, efficient, and always with a customer focus
- Supports collating key HR information, providing regular and ad-hoc statistics for reporting
- Takes responsibility for planning and prioritizing workload, ensuring that tasks are completed within the agreed timescales, taking the initiative to adapt priorities as required by changing priorities
Compliance and GDPR
- Advises the HR Team Leader regarding any potential risks and particular cases
- Acts as the first point of escalation for compliance on all GPDR-related matters for data privacy and document management
- Monitors and solves specific cases relating to contractual issues in Swiss labor law
- Works closely with overseas counterparts and the HR Admin team to ensure a smooth HR administration process; uses own initiative to troubleshoot and escalate any issues to the HR Team Leader as necessary
- Disseminates information and documentation received from the field, OCs relating to security, health, and situation reports appropriately
- Works closely with and support the other HR Admins to ensure a smooth and effective HR service provision to employees, continually sharing and developing knowledge and best practice as appropriate
- Supports the training of new team members
- Together with the broader ICO department, works towards a common project
- Minimum 1-year experience in MSF HR Admin. Experience as OC HR admin will be highly valued
- Knowledge of MSF HR admin policies & processes, including IRP2
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Knowledge of Swiss employment law is an asset
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Pragmatic, rigorous
- English essential. French desirable
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.